Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Summer Solstice 2011

While I continue to entertain the three hypotheses I presented in the last post, I thought I might issue a challenge:

In a recent comments thread on HuffPost, concerning an article about a threat against Wall Street by Al Qaeda, I offered the vision of two million people on Wall Street, two million people at the steps of Congress. A few said they were in. Just think, whatever your stripe, whoever you think the villian is, Congress or Wall Street, you've got a place to go for the big party (what do you do when you know they've both been villianous?). Great food, great music, lots of dancing, lots of colors. We can call it a love fest. Send a message that we know what they're up to. They can't deny that many people.

What are they going to do? Prevent us? They'll try to manage it, surely, requiring all the permits, all the proper temporary barriers. They'll try to co-opt it. But last I heard, this is a democracy, and I don't know about you, but I've got something to say.

How about a little solidarity with our Middle Eastern brothers and sisters, a little solidarity with everyone who is suffering under tyranny of one form or another? How about a little solidarity with each other?

Shut down Wall Street dancing, for a day and a night. Sing so loud the bloody halls of Congress shake.

Rejoice that you are alive. Get creative. Question.

No comments: